People Following Me

Wednesday 8 February 2012

Horror

Horror is described by Google as follows:

Horror
hor-ror/hôrər/

Noun:
  1. An intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust.
  2. A thing causing such a feeling. 
While this is partly true, it doesn't even come close to what horror really is. 

Horror is such a complicated notion to fathom, a genre of film or literature or art that we can never really explain concretely, despite horror and our attraction towards it being an innate part of human nature. Our need for horror stems from the nature of the world itself, and an attempt to explain or understand why horrible things happen (supernatural horror) or get a glimpse of death or some unbelievable tragedy. Some watch it to be scared, or to get a glimpse of the terrifying to feel better about their lives.

Others, like myself (to an extent), watch it for the fun of watching others suffer.

I have an obsession with horror, perhaps an unhealthy one, but I don’t really mind. Horror appeals to me in a way that no other genre can, besides romance and comedy (but I still prefer gothic romances or dark humour). There’s something about the way it unsettles me and makes me think twice about switching off the lights, the way I tread slowly even when I’m home alone, the way it makes me second guess everything around me that just thrills me to no end!

And, of course, it comes in all sorts of different shapes and forms, but to name my favorite: Dark Fantasy, Erotic Horror, Gothic Fiction, Lovecraftian Horror, Dystopian Science Fiction – and, of course, Supernatural Horror.

I have written stories that fall into all of these genres, but mostly I end up writing contemporary horror. None of it published, not because I don’t think it’s not good enough or that it isn’t, but because I have other plans for them. I have sketched many drawings that I will upload to deviantart in some time, and will link to them here. I’ve read just about every horror book I could get my hands on, and have watched almost every horror movie that has been released since my birth. I have even written poems edging more towards the dark side. I doubt there is any bigger fan of horror than me, but feel free to challenge me on that one.

I write horror. I draw horror. I watch horror. I think it and I breathe it. I see it everywhere around me, in the shadows in the room when the lights are dim and in the middle of the day in the playground when the promise of a haunting figure lurks in a little boy.

Horror is everywhere, in every single one of us. We all love it, whether we dare to admit it or not. And those of us who embrace it, who dare to walk proudly and call ourselves horrific and let forth the horror in our minds and hearts into the world, shall walk without fear.

Because what is there to fear but fear itself?

2 comments:

  1. I'd be very interested to see the drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I just need to get my scanner working, and get them on deviantart. I normally don't draw horrific pictures, mostly general romantic artwork, but I have a few really amateurish attempts. I'm rather mediocre in everything, great at nothing but also suck at nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Loved or Hated this post? Let me know by leaving a comment below!